Wednesday 1 July 2015

When 100g just won't do...


It would be so much easier to calculate how many balls of yarn a project would take if the yarn the pattern called for is the yarn you're planning on using. However, if you're like me, you like to experiment with fibers of all kinds and textures and don't like 'having' to use the yarn a pattern was designed for.  

This is when the physical weight of the yarn in the pattern doesn't necessarily mean it will equal the yarn you want to actually use. At this point, a bit of math is needed (I know, not my favourite either, but necessary!). 

For ex: My pattern calls for 8 skeins of Mary Maxim Aran Irish Tweed. The total yardage of the yarn I'd need is calculated by number of yards/skein x number of  skeins- in this case, Irish Tweed has 205 yards/skein, total of 1640 yards required.

But, I want to use Mary Maxim Starlette yarn. Starlette has 180 yards/skein... The weight listed in the pattern doesn't apply anymore, so.... math. 

I need 1640 yards of worsted weight yarn to finish my project. 

1640 divided by  180 = 9.1111... 

So, to use Starlette, I would need to purchase 10 skeins total. It's always a good idea to purchase more yarn than you think you'll require to finish your project so that you can make sure the dye lots match... Mary Maxim has a generous 6 month return policy if you don't end up using all of what you've purchased either!

More on the importance of dye lots in our next post! Happy Canada Day!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for your interest! We will review comments and post within 48hrs.